Modi Receives Qatar Condolence Call After 12 Indians Killed

Modi Receives Qatar Condolence Call After 12 Indians Killed

Prime Minister Narendra Modi received a phone call on Tuesday from Qatar’s Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, who expressed deep condolences over the tragic deaths of Indian nationals following a major explosion at a liquefied natural gas facility in Ras Laffan Industrial City.

Key Highlights

  • Twelve Indian nationals were among the 13 people killed in the industrial blast.
  • The explosion occurred Sunday night at the Barzan local gas supply facility operated by QatarEnergy LNG.
  • An additional 66 individuals sustained injuries and are currently in stable condition.
  • The Ministry of External Affairs is coordinating with Qatari authorities to repatriate the mortal remains.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday received a phone call from the Amir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, who expressed grief over the death of Indian nationals in a tragic accident at Ras Laffan Industrial City in that country.

Twelve Indians were among 13 people killed in an explosion at an LNG facility in the Ras Laffan Industrial City in Qatar Sunday night.

“I thank His Highness the Amir of Qatar for his phone call and condolences on the loss of lives of Indian nationals in the tragic accident at Ras Laffan Industrial City in Qatar,” Modi said in a post on ‘X’.

The prime minister said he and the Amir of Qatar share the grief of the families who have lost their loved ones and pray for the speedy recovery of those injured.

“India and Qatar remain steadfast in their commitment to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our citizens and stand in solidarity with each other,” Modi said.

The explosion at the Barzan local gas supply facility at Ras Laffan Industrial City, which is operated by QatarEnergy LNG, also injured 66 people, including Indians.

Citing Qatari authorities, the Indian mission said that all injured are in stable condition and are receiving appropriate medical treatment.

Diplomatic and Repatriation Efforts

Following the diplomatic outreach, New Delhi activated comprehensive support mechanisms through the Ministry of External Affairs and the Indian Embassy in Doha.

MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal confirmed that Indian diplomatic officials are actively working with local Qatari authorities to expedite the formal identification process and facilitate the immediate repatriation of the 12 deceased citizens to India. Emergency helplines have been established to assist affected families.

Qatar’s Energy Minister, Saad bin Shreida Al-Kaabi, noted that the casualties spanned multiple nationalities, reflecting the diverse migrant workforce at the industrial hub. The injured workers include citizens from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Qatar, Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria.

Historical Context and Operational Status

The Ras Laffan Industrial City, located roughly 80 kilometers north of Doha, serves as Qatar’s primary hub for liquefied natural gas production and refining. The facility is globally recognized as a critical node in international energy supply chains.

The explosion at the Barzan gas supply facility reportedly took place during operational restart procedures. The facility had previously experienced brief operational disruptions stemming from regional geopolitical tensions, specifically following Iranian strikes in the Gulf zone. Despite the severity of the industrial accident, bilateral ties and energy cooperation between New Delhi and Doha remain resilient, anchored by prompt high-level communication.

FAQs

What caused the Ras Laffan Industrial City explosion?

The explosion at the Barzan local gas supply facility in Ras Laffan Industrial City occurred during the restart of operations after previous disruptions from Iranian strikes.

How will India and Qatar support affected families?

India and Qatar are committed to the safety and wellbeing of their citizens and stand in solidarity. The Indian Embassy in Doha has opened emergency helplines to provide direct support and updates to the victims’ relatives.

Could this incident impact India-Qatar relations?

The incident, which killed 12 Indian nationals in Qatar, has not directly impacted India-Qatar relations. Prime Minister Modi thanked the Qatar Emir for his condolences, and both leaders reaffirmed their commitment to the safety and well-being of their citizens.

Which company operates the affected facility in Qatar?

The Barzan local gas supply facility at Ras Laffan Industrial City is operated by QatarEnergy LNG.

How many people were injured in the industrial accident?

A total of 66 individuals from various nationalities, including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal, sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical care.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *